Game Night for Everyone!
Game night isn’t inherently accessible to everyone….but it could be! With just a little extra consideration we could make game night more inclusive. Below are just a FEW examples of ways to improve accessibility.
What to look for:
- Products that make it easier to manipulate game pieces.
- Games with large print or digital platforms where print can be adjusted.
- Games that don’t require a lot of manipulation of small pieces or have alternative input/targeting options.
- For individuals with difficulty holding cards there are a variety of products on the market to assist. Just search for “card holder”.
- Alternatively, search for a digital version of the card game!
Monopoly two ways…or more
- You’ve seen the local town Monopoly game boards…did you know there were versions that could benefit people with certain limitations?
- The Super Electronic Version of Monopoly eliminates the need to count and manipulate money. It’s simple to tap the credit card on the banking device and it tabulates everything for you.
- The Braille/Low Vision version of Monopoly provides large text and braille cards as well as a tactile game board surface.
Alternative Dice Rolling
Digital Games for Groups
- One of my most favorite games I’ve played recently is OutSmarted, a trivia game for groups. Though the game comes with a physical gameboard the game can be operated almost entirely from a smart device and mirrored on the TV for everyone to see. Having both of these options makes it easier for the player to roll the dice and read the trivia questions.
- Another option would be to look for multi player games that can be played entirely on a digital device. An example would be Jackbox Games which can be played on multiple platforms and has a variety of game packages to suit your groups interests.
Follow us on social media to keep up with the latest on the Gifting Guide!
This list is provided for informational purposes only as APTAT does not endorse specific products or brands. When purchasing be sure to thoroughly research the product features to ensure it will meet your individual needs.