ALS, Voice Banking and Speech Amplification
Voice Banking is a process individuals who are losing their voice “bank” words and phrases by recording them using a computer. For individuals who have lost their voice, relatives or friends with similar voice qualities can be used for voice banking.
Individuals with ALS benefit greatly from voice banking, but it is important to begin as soon as possible because it is hard to determine how long the voice will remain strong and intelligible.
Introduction to Voice Banking
In this lesson, you will learn what voice banking is: a process for recording words and phrases.
- Introduction to Voice Banking
- Choosing Words and Phrases to Bank
- ALS Voice Banking
- Voice Banking on your PC
Microsoft Sound Recorder
In this lesson of the Voice Banking Module, you will learn how to use the Microsoft Sound Recorder.
This lesson will guide you how to use Audacity, a free sound editing software. It is taught by Laura Parks, Assistive Technology Specialist for TASC.
This Software pairs perfectly with Therapy Box’s apps: Predictable and ChatAble. It also works with Windows/ Andriod based SGD
Augmentative and Alternative Communication
- Portable PA System – This device would be great to attach to the front of your wheelchair (using industrial velcro)
- Portable PA Sytems – Comes in different colors and a strap for around your neck
Apps for Communication
- Verbally is an easy-to-use, comprehensive Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) app for the iPad. Verbally brings speech to those without and enables real conversation with its simple, intuitive design. Just tap in what you want to say and Verbally speaks for you.
- Free or Full Version for $99.99 iPad only
- Verbally on iTunes
- urVoice is an easy-to-use, highly customizable, affordable text-to-speech solution. You type it – urVoice speaks it or you can save it as a Quick Phrase to be used later (you can even include a picture)
- Free Full Version for $4.99 iPhone and iPad
- urVoice iTunes Link
- CommunicAide offers the largest selection of real photographs and real human voices to date for nearly any situation, as well as the ability to import your own photographs for a truly customizable experience
- $69.99 iPad only
- CommunicAide iTunes Link